• My thoughts on the DO

    Starting practice is one of the most precious moments. It can be very exciting and eventually leads to fabulous growth. Now is the very moment to decide if to go all the way through.

    When I started judo practice I decided, that I would have done it for the rest of my life and that my Master would have been a constant presence in my thoughts.

    Fundamental to the DO is one ingredient: COMMITMENT, indicating, that self-discipline and persistence must be kept regardless of how hard it is.

    Practice puts us under constant stress, but without it we would never be able to develop our personality.

    Commitment and self-discipline are precious as gold for those seeking the DO.

  • In the Sixties

    1960: Bruno Carmeni throwing his opponent with seoi nage

  • More than 40 years later!

    2007: Bruno Carmeni throwing his opponent with seoi nage

Judo Techniques – Ne Waza Future’s Technique

In 1867 in Japan the samurai class was dissolved and simultaneously all arms were banished, therefore the fighting techniques without arms have continued to develop (later on judo techniques). There was a  jujutsu school called Fusen Ryu, founded by Takeda Motsuge, that worked a lot on ground techniques.

This school challenged Jigoro Kano’s Judo Kodokan school at the end of the 19th century defeating all students of Shihan Kano on the ground. The latter understood, that it was an opportunity to learn something more and therefore convinced Master Tanabe to teach ne waza to his students. He then

incorporated these methods in his teaching system calling them kosen, ie. the “superior school”.

Due to the fact, that his students started to become really strong at it, they did not perform any standing judo techniques anymore and started to take their opponents right away to the ground.

Bruno and Tullio Carmeni in juji gatame belonging to the kantsetzu wza judo techniques


In order to give a stop to this phenomenon Kano defined within the first refereeing rules, that only 25% of the fight was going to be dedicated to ne waza, while the remaining 75% to tachi waza.  

Nevertheless judo had to remain, as the wheels have to remain attached to the car in order for it to move around.

Nowadays competition judo has influenced in a negative way the technical research, therefore the gap between the two is widening. The truth is, that the referees do not intervene much in tachi waza, but a lot when it comes to ne waza. They tend to immediately interrupt the action on the ground, without allowing the athletes to express themselves with a complete technical sequence in order to end up in a choke, armlock or pin.

The coaches are acting accordingly: they only conceive ne waza as the continuation of the throw and therefore do not waist too much time to teach how to work on the ground..

Furthermore the existing refereeing rules of the International Judo Federation have levelled down the evaluation for in order to score an ippon wazaari or yuko.  While in order to score the same yuko in ne waza the opponent has to be pinned down for 15 seconds.

Bruno and Tullio Carmeni in juji gatame belonging to the kansetsu waza judo techniques

Nevertheless the main problem remains for the athletes the fact, that the referees interrupt the action before they can finish their action on the ground going for an armlock, choke or pin.  In this way the ne waza percentage went way down to only 10%, while tachi waza went up to around 90%.    

The statistics at the Olympics, World Championships and Continental ones confirm this data as the armlocks and chokes have almost disappeared from the charts.

Therefore ne waza is a field to explore, as there is a lack of technical knowledge around the world. If the refereeing rules would allow to work more on the ground the judokas would dedicate more time to it with enthusiasm discovering a new side of judo techniques and would contribute to its spectacular side again.

At the time being the technical level is flattening towards a lower side increasing therefore the gap with the Japanese. 

In Japan there is up to today a National Tournament , that takes place among 7 Universities exckìlusively based on ground work called “kosen judo”.